Monday, July 21, 2008

The Kodak Gallery Award


The Kodak Gallery Award has been called the Oscar of the photography industry. I have been honored to win this award 9 times. They are, to me, the pinnacle of achievement in our industry. I am thrilled that Barbara & Brooke both received Gallery Awards at our state convention. We submitted prints for print competition with photographers from all over the state, and our studio won 9 of the almost 40 awards that were given. I'll give you a brief recap, Barbara won a Gallery Award for her wedding album, 1st place for her wedding album in the general division and a distinguished print for her portrait in the general division. Brooke also won a Gallery Award for her wedding print, the best wedding candid, 1st place for her wedding image in the general division, a distinguished print in the illustrative category and the wedding album Brooke and I entered together won first place in the Salon division. I took first place in the electronic imaging category as well as first place for my wedding print in the salon division. Competing in print competition is something I have always enjoyed. It's a great way to hone your skills and without a doubt has made me a better photographer. Having your work critiqued, torn down and adored is humbling and satisfying all at the same time. It was a big week and I think the best part was the president of the APPA and my good friend Joel Schmidt gave me the distinguished service award. This is the biggest honor that we can receive for giving back to the photography industry in our state.